The Science Department
In our increasingly scientific and technological world, Science is a very important subject.
Through the teaching of Science at Coleraine College our aim is to:
- Enable pupils to ask and answer scientific questions
- Stimulate pupils’ curiosity in the world around them, encouraging them to find out and explain why and how things happen in the way they do
- Help them plan and carry out scientific investigations
- Build an appreciation of the relevance of science in everyday life and indeed how it may affect their future lives.
Key Stage Three
For the first three years of secondary school the pupils have three 45 minutes sessions of Science per week. A broad balanced course is provided covering the three sciences, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Topics covered include:
- Organisms and Health
- Chemical and Material behaviour
- Forces and Energy
- Earth and the Universe
Key Stage Four
At this stage pupils can choose to study a Single Award Science Course.
The current specification followed is the AQA Science A. Upon successful completion of this course students will be awarded with a general Science GCSE qualification.
A combined course AQA Science A + AQA Additional Science is also available. Upon successful completion of this course students will be awarded with two GCSE qualifications, thus enabling them to proceed to an AS/A level science course at tertiary level.